Friday, July 27, 2012

What I'm Reading: Wonder



Wonder by R.J. Palacio was a delightful surprise.  August is a boy in grade 5 that has had over 25 surgeries in his life so far.  His against-the-odds combination of birth defects has left him looking like no other.  In August's words,

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse. 

And yet, this is a warm tale of love, friendship and family.  When August's parents decide that it's time for him to go to a regular school instead of being home-schooled, August embarks on a journey from being the one alone in the crowd to being the glue that holds the entire school together.

In chapters of rotating narrative voice, we get to hear about everything from everyone - his sister and her BFF, to name a few - readers are given an view of August's situation.  Tolerance, friendship, self-respect and individuality are all powerful themes that August embodies with ease and grace.

I Loved this book.  I can see why it's a NYT Best Seller.  I can't wait to see what's next on the list.

 ”post

No comments:

Post a Comment