Friday, October 30, 2009

Canadianisms - Snakes and Ladders


Ok, so I am from Canada.  I live in the States.  I've been here for about 12 years (and counting) and I still have these moments where I make a comment, and every one in the room stops and stares at me, like I have two heads.

I call them Canadianisms.  And they still happen to me.  You'd think I'd have sorted them all out by now, but apparently not.

So a few weeks ago, when we had our first Family Game Night, I suggested that we play Snakes and Ladders.  DaddyDew gave me this odd look.  I know that look.  It's the Canadianism look.

Turns out, Snakes and Ladders was never in the States.  A little online research (thank goodness for the internet!) revealed that Snakes and Ladders was originally from England.  Well, there you go.  It constantly amazes me how things from England are prolific in Canada but never cross the border into the States.

So the Wikipedia article was actually rather fascinating on this particular topic.  The game hails from India and was actually a game based on morality.  Each ladder represented a virtue, and each snake a vice.  The same concept carries through today - apparently if you look closely at the board, there are good behaviours at the bottom of the ladders, with the children or characters enjoying the rewards of such behaviours at the top of the ladders.  And the reverse for the snakes (chutes) ... bad behaviours at the top of the snake and the consequences at the bottom.

Who knew it was that designed?  And who knew that Snakes & Ladders was Canadian? (well, British ... but ...)  Now I need to send my mother out to find a game ... just for memory's sake.

1 comment:

  1. My brother in law is Canadian and we laugh at his "Canadianisms" all of the time :)

    ReplyDelete